The Edition Online

Home » Opinion » Breakfast Deprivation

Breakfast Deprivation

Fuel for thought. Photo by staff

Dani Varo | OPINIONS WRITER

Am I the only one who doesn’t have time to eat breakfast in the mornings?

The only time I can eat my favorite meal of the day is on Saturday and Sunday when I don’t have to wake up between 5:00 and 5:30 am. If school started 30 minutes later (around 8:00 am) I would definitely make time for breakfast.

I took a survey, and 42 out of 50 people, or 84%, don’t have time to eat breakfast. When they do, it’s a quick, tiny granola bar that most likely doesn’t taste good. The other 16% are either people who are tardy or seniors who can take the time to go get something.

I want to understand how school systems think we can handle: waking up early, showering, getting ready, eating breakfast, getting to school on time, going to work or practices, and then coming home around 5:30 pm to chores, homework, and eating dinner with the family, followed by more homework, showering and getting a good night’s sleep. But, this lengthy list does not include a social life.  Add that into the list and we teenagers have a lot on our plate.

Teachers and schools worldwide are always saying to eat breakfast because it’s the most important meal of the day, but some of us don’t have time unless we want to be sleep deprived. We can’t win.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Find an Article

Follow us on Twitter!

%d bloggers like this: